• As if heroin weren't dangerous enough, it now comes with lead poisoning

    4 days ago - By Ars Technica

    Enlarge / An opium poppy field in Afghanistan.
    After she admitted swallowing 30 packs of opium, a 51-year-old woman was brought to a hospital emergency room in Tehran, the New England Journal of Medicine reported yesterday. When a CT scan confirmed the presence of several small oval objects in her abdomen, the doctors gave her laxatives. She passed a collection of small, sausage-like opium packs “without complication,” report doctors Nasim Zamani and Hossein Hassanian-Moghaddam.
    One of those packs was sent for lab analysis, and results came back confirming opium, and also the presence of...
    Read more ...